If you use wordpress, there are many ways to increase your wordpress security.
One of the ways to secure a wordpress website is to change the username. By default, wordpress provides you with a username of admin. That means that when you go to login to wordpress, the username is admin. Many hackers know that a lot of wordpress users do not change the usernames. That, combined with the fact that many people use weak passwords, makes them much more vulnerable to hackers.
I always recommend that you make a backup before making any changes.
So here are the instructions on how to change your username.
1. Login to your wordpress dashboard
2. Now click on “Users” in the WordPress dashboard. Then click on “Add New.”
3. See photo below. Enter in a new Username. Remember do NOT USE admin as your username. Also, make sure that the username you enter is complex. Do not use your name or your pet’s or child’s name. Those are too easy to guess.
Then also enter in a new, complex password (don’t use the one you normally use to login to this wordpress site – create a new one). Then set Role to “Administrator.” Lastly, click on “Add User.”
4. Now it’s time for you to log out of your wordpress account.
5. Then login again, but use the new username and password that you just created.
6. Click on “Users” in the wordpress dashboard. Then click on “All Users.”
It doesn’t look quite the same as the image you see above, as I’m using an existing account and I had previously changed my username. To emulate, I have inserted the word “Admin” in there. What you want to do is hover your mouse over where it says, “Admin.” You will see links for “delete, ” and “edit.”
7. Now click on “Delete.” It is very important that you check off “Attribute all posts to” (whatever your new username is). Then Confirm Deletion.
By doing this, you are assigning all your old blog posts that you created under your former “admin” username to your new username.
8. You are almost done, but you need to do a couple more things. You want to go under “Your Profile,” and then change the “Nickname” (by default, it will show up as your username) and then change “Display name publicly as.”
That should be it. The only other thing that I will do is continue to scroll down within “Your Profile” (where you are now), and change the Chat Option located on the very bottom. Here’s an image of what it looks like: