Over the last couple of days, I’ve been working behind the scenes coming up with a new theme for my PLR store. I thought it would be fun, and it was something I had been looking forward to for several months. Well, it’s a good thing that I have thick hair, because you can’t tell how much I’ve pulled out over the last couple of days!!
Minna Bryant was recently asking me when I will be releasing a new Vlog. I told her that it would be after my haircut tonight (you know…when I’m looking presentable 🙂 ) ! Well, the hair stylist will have just a bit less hair to cut tonight!
Anyway, I digress. I had many reasons for wanting to change the appearance of my PLR store, including:
- Let’s face it! It’s kind of ugly. I’ve admitted many times that if there are two sites that have the exact same content on them, I would always choose the prettier site, as long as they are equally easy to navigate.
- It takes me forever to set things up. Each time I want to add a new product image, I have to do it manually on the home page. This wastes too much of my time. I need something that is simple to use.
- I was always running into problems with font sizes, etc. Yes, I know I can do this sort of stuff through my stylesheet, but coding is not my forte. I chose not to hire someone to do it for me, knowing that I was not going to be sticking with that theme anyway.
So is changing the appearance of your website helpful?
It absolutely can be!
Here are a few reasons:
- You want to appear professional. You don’t want it to look like your site was put together by a grade-school child.
- When you look professional, you will attract people who take you seriously. This increases your chances of developing friendships, and working partnerships with them (ex. joint ventures, affiliates, etc).
- It can make it easier for the visitors to your site to find what they are looking for, if you carefully think out the layout.
Those are just a few of the reasons. So if you happen to head over to my PLR store in the next few days, and you find it looking a bit “wonky,” you’ll know why.
I’ve been doing most of the legwork behind the scenes, but I know that there are a lot of changes that I can’t change behind the scenes right now without screwing up my present theme.
If you are ready to change the appearance/theme of your website, you can always use a free wordpress plugin like “Theme Test Drive.” You can also create a new directory within your host panel, but you just need to know how to do it. The other option is to outtask it. I decided against this, because I have had a mental vision of what I want my site to look like. In addition, I need to know how to work the theme so that I’m not having to rely on someone else every time I need to add a product. Eventually, this would be something I could outsource (adding products, etc), but I first need to know how to do it myself before I can teach someone else how to do it.
In my case, I’ve been working on a “dummy”/unused domain to practice and figure out how the theme works.
I’ll be in touch soon! And I will do my best to get out that next vlog!
Minna Bryant says
It’s all one grand experiment with change. If it gets you doing more with and feeling more amazing sharing your PLR store, that’s where your time, energy and effort needs to go.
Minna Bryant recently posted…Friday Follow-up – The Sunday Shout-out Invitation
Kim P. says
Yes, but I don’t want to work on it too long, as it’s really not a money-making activity. I believe it will help in the long term, but I’ve learned not to get stuck doing too much “busy” work.